Warning Signs Your Marriage Might Be In Trouble
Warning signs fill our lives. A child learns to wait for the walk signal before crossing a busy intersection. New drivers learn the warning signs that will save their lives on the highway. Warning signs of cancer, stroke, and heart disease help us address potential health dangers.
Here are warning signs that your marriage may be in trouble from 8 Warning Signs Your Marriage Might Be In Trouble.
- You hope your spouse will change instead of accepting your spouse.
- You define your spouse by who they are not rather than by who they are.
- You look forward to seeing someone who is not your spouse.
- You have stopped having a physical relationship with your spouse.
- You spend time thinking how your spouse could love your better than thinking how you could love your spouse better.
- You have stopped laughing together.
- You have stopped being honest with each other.
- You have stopped resolving conflict and harbor your resentments letting them grow.
Top 7 Warning Signs Your Marriage May End in Divorce offers these observations.
- You do not engage in meaningful conversations because you feel you no longer have anything in common.
- Every action is watched and criticized so you feel you cannot do anything right.
- You are the last to know because your partner no longer shares information.
- One of you changes his/her appearance.
- You and/or your spouse engage in distractions to avoid confronting problems.
- You and your spouse find yourselves arguing repeatedly over the same subject.
- Intimacy is a thing of the past.
According to The Divorce Experience: A Study of Divorce At Midlife and Beyond, a 153 page study involving 1,147 respondents for AARP conducted by a team of researchers from National Member Research, “emotionally, divorce is generally worse than losing a job, about equal to experiencing a major illness, and somewhat less devastating than the death of a spouse.” Don’t drift into this emotional maelstrom. Look at your marriage with new eyes.
Are you experiencing any of these signs? Is your spouse showing any of these signs? Do not wait until the divorce decision has been made. A professional counselor can help you and your spouse address these signs. A professional counselor can help you both to begin to put the pieces back together. A saved marriage is worth the investment. Start today.